- A copper-containing protein produced by the liver that binds ~90% of plasma copper.
- Caeruloplasmin is an acute phase reactant.
- Used as a test for Wilson's disease, in conjunction with serum copper concentration.
Causes of Reduced Caeruloplasmin
- Wilson’s disease
- Reduced synthesis - liver disease, malnutrition, malabsorption, TPN
- Increased loss - nephrotic syndrome, protein-losing enteropathy, Menke’s disease
Causes of Elevated Caeruloplasmin
- Acute phase reaction - infection, inflammation, malignancy
- Endocrine - pregnancy, hormone replacement