Bradykinesia / Hypokinesia
- Bradykinesia refers to progressive slowness of movement, while hypokinesia refers to progressive smallness of movements.
- These findings are decremental, meaning that they worsen as they are repeated.
How to PerformAsk the patient to perform a variety of tasks as rapidly as possible:
- Opening and closing the hand
- Tapping the thumb and index fingers together
- Pronating and supinating the hand
- Progressive slowing and smallness of movement with repetition of the task.
How to Perform
- Ask the patient to write a sentence on a piece of paper.
- Classically, patients with Parkinsonism will start writing a sentence normally, and during the sentence their writing will become smaller and smaller, due to bradykinesia and hypokinesia.