- Postural hypotension may be present in a patient with Parkinson’s disease, as they may develop autonomic neuropathy.
How To Perform
- Measure the blood pressure with the patient lying down, and then remeasure it after the patient has been standing for one minute.
- Postural hypotension is present if there is a fall of >20mmHg systolic and >10mmHg diastolic blood pressure following standing.
Causes of Postural Hypotension
- Autonomic dysfunction
- Low intravascular volume - blood / fluid / electrolyte loss
- Vasodilation - nitrates, alcohol, fever
- Addison’s disease
- Paraneoplastic syndrome