- Oral / IVVancomycinMay be used in patients allergic to beta lactams
Mechanism of Action
- Inhibits bacterial cell wall peptidoglycan synthesis.
- Broad cover against gram positive organisms, including Methicillin resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA).
- Proven MRSA
- Life-threatening staphylococcal infections
- Enterococcal endocarditis
- Adverse Effects
- Red man syndrome (vancomycin only) - immediate onset (4-10min after start of infusion) of pruritis and erythematous rash involving the face, neck and upper torso. Occurs when vancomycin is administered too rapidly.
- Nausea / vomiting / diarrhoea
- Nephrotoxicity (rarely)
- To ensure therapeutic levels, check serum concentration before the fourth dose.