Oral / IV
May be used in patients allergic to beta lactams
- Mechanism of Action
- Inhibits bacterial cell wall peptidoglycan synthesis.
- Broad cover against gram positive organisms, including Methicillin resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA).
- Proven MRSA
- Life-threatening staphylococcal infections
- Enterococcal endocarditis
- Adverse Effects
- Red man syndrome (vancomycin only) - immediate onset (4-10min after start of infusion) of pruritis and erythematous rash involving the face, neck and upper torso. Occurs when vancomycin is administered too rapidly.
- Nausea / vomiting / diarrhoea
- Nephrotoxicity (rarely)
- To ensure therapeutic levels, check serum concentration before the fourth dose.
Want more info like this?
- Your electronic clinical medicine handbook
- Guides to help pass your exams
- Tools every medical student needs
- Quick diagrams to have the answers, fast
- Quizzes to test your knowledge