Trimethoprim + Sulfamethoxazole
- Oral / IVTrimethoprim + SulfamethoxazoleBactrim, Septrin
Mechanism of Action
- Trimethoprim inhibits the production of dihydrofolate reductase (DHFR), resulting in reduced conversion of dihydrofolic acid to active tetrahydrofolic acid - interfering with bacterial synthesis of nucleic acids. Sulfamethoxaole inhibits the production of dihydrofolate from para-aminobenzoic acid.
- Active against most GI normal flora, the most common cause of UTI.Broad spectrum, including many aerobic gram-negative and gram-positive organisms.
- No cover against pseudomonas.
- Otitis media
- Lower respiratory tract infection
- Genitourinary tract infections
- Gastrointestinal infections
- Skin / wound infections
- Severe liver damage
- Megaloblastic anaemia due to folate deficiency
- Adverse Effects
- Nausea / vomiting
- Rash / pruritis
- Elevated LFTs