- IV infusionTrastuzumab-EmtansineKadcyla
- Mechanism of Action
- Contains a monoclonal antibody directed toward HER2 (trastuzumab), linked to a chemotherapeutic agent (DM1), allowing for targeted delivery of cytotoxic chemotherapy to HER2-positive tumour cells.
- Trastuzumab inhibits HER2 signalling pathways resulting in cell cycle arrest, and also mediates antibody-dependent cell-mediated cytotoxicity.
- DM1 is a cytotoxic agent that binds to tubulin, preventing polymerisation and resulting in cell cycle arrest in the G2/M phase.
- HER2-positive metastatic breast cancer refractory to trastuzumab.
- Adverse Effects
- Bone marrow suppression â€“ leucopaenia, anaemia, thrombocytopaenia
- Immunosuppression (susceptibility to infection)
- Nausea / vomiting / diarrhoea
- Abdominal pain
- Cardiac dysfunction
- Dyspnoea / wheeze
- Peripheral neuropathy
- Arthralgias / myalgias
- LFT derangement
- Weight loss