Used for severe infections only
- Mechanism of Action
- Ticarcillin is a beta lactam antibiotic that inhibits bacterial cell wall synthesis. Clavulanate is a a beta lactamase inhibitor that has no intrinsic antimicrobial activity but prevents breakdown of beta lactam by beta lactamase enzyme.
- Adverse Effects
- Hypersensitivity - urticarial rash, oedema, anaphylaxis
- GIT - nausea / vomiting / diarrhoea
- Thrombocytopaenia / leukopaenia
Want more info like this?
- Your electronic clinical medicine handbook
- Guides to help pass your exams
- Tools every medical student needs
- Quick diagrams to have the answers, fast
- Quizzes to test your knowledge