Alternative to vancomycin if severe red man syndrome
- Mechanism of Action
- Inhibits bacterial cell wall peptidoglycan synthesis.
- Broad cover against gram positive organisms, including Methicillin resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) and methicillin-resistant coagulase negative staphylococci.
- Proven MRSA
- Life-threatening staphylococcal infections
- Enterococcal endocarditis
- Adverse Effects
- Nausea / vomiting / diarrhoea
- Nephrotoxicity (rarely)
- To ensure therapeutic levels, check serum concentration before the fourth dose.
Want more info like this?
- Your electronic clinical medicine handbook
- Guides to help pass your exams
- Tools every medical student needs
- Quick diagrams to have the answers, fast
- Quizzes to test your knowledge