Preferred agent for urinary obstructive symptoms related to BPH
- Mechanism of Action
- Block α1-adrenoceptors, resulting in arteriolar smooth muscle relaxation and reduced peripheral resistance.
- Short acting. Safe for use in patients with impaired renal function.
- Benign prostatic hyperplasia
- Renal colic
- Renal artery stenosis (precipitates renal failure)
- Adverse Effects
- Postural hypotension
- Retrograde ejaculation (due to effect on prostate)
- Electrolytes, urea and creatinine.
Want more info like this?
- Your electronic clinical medicine handbook
- Guides to help pass your exams
- Tools every medical student needs
- Quick diagrams to have the answers, fast
- Quizzes to test your knowledge