- Mechanism of Action
- Inhibits the action of aldosterone on sodium-potassium exchange pumps in the distal convoluted tubule.
- Potassium-sparing diuretics.
- Refractory hypertension
- Refractory heart failure
- Peripheral oedema – due to congestive cardiac failure / renal failure / nephrotic syndrome / cirrhosis
- Symptomatic ascites
- Maintenance therapy for hypokalaemia
- Primary aldosteronism
- Adverse Effects
- Nausea / vomiting / cramping / diarrhoea
Want more info like this?
- Your electronic clinical medicine handbook
- Guides to help pass your exams
- Tools every medical student needs
- Quick diagrams to have the answers, fast
- Quizzes to test your knowledge