Sodium Polystyrene Sulfonate
Useful for patients with hypercalcaemia
- Mechanism of Action
- A resin that binds to potassium ions within the gut and releases sodium ions, resulting in reduced absorption of potassium.
- Each gram of resin is expected to bind approximately 1mmol of potassium.
- Severe hyperkalaemia.
- Adverse Effects
- Nausea / vomiting / diarrhea
- Gastrointestinal ischaemia
Want more info like this?
- Your electronic clinical medicine handbook
- Guides to help pass your exams
- Tools every medical student needs
- Quick diagrams to have the answers, fast
- Quizzes to test your knowledge