Mechanism of Action
- Directly inhibits factor Xa, resulting in reduced clot formation.
- Andexanet alpha may be used to reverse rivaroxaban in life-threatening situations only.
- Prevention of venous thromboembolism post hip / knee surgery
- Treatment of venous thromboembolism (DVT / PE)
- Non-valvular atrial fibrillation (prevention of stroke)
- Active bleeding or risk of major bleeding
- Use of other anticoagulants
- Mechanical heart valve
- Severe renal impairment (eGFR <30mL/min)
- Severe hepatic disease with coagulopathy
- Concurrent use of azole antimycotics
- Adverse Effects
- Nausea / vomiting
- Anti-factor Xa assays may be used to assess for the therapeutic effect of rivaroxaban, though there are no established target levels.