Oral / IM
Available as depot – fortnightly dosing for schizophrenia
- Mechanism of Action
- Seems to cause transient antagonism of D2 receptors, as well as serotonin 5-HT2A antagonism.
- Less extrapyramidal adverse effects and less hyperprolactinaemia than first generation antipsychotics.
- Adverse Effects
- Postural hypotension
- Prolonged QTc
- Weight gain
- Anticholinergic – dry mouth, blurred vision, constipation, urinary retention, delirium
- Extrapyramidal – dystonia, akathisia, parkinsonism, tardive dyskinesia
- Hyperprolactinaemia – gynaecomastia, galactorrhoea, infertility, sexual dysfunction
Want more info like this?
- Your electronic clinical medicine handbook
- Guides to help pass your exams
- Tools every medical student needs
- Quick diagrams to have the answers, fast
- Quizzes to test your knowledge