- OralRisedronateActonelDaily, weekly or monthly dosing
Mechanism of Action
- Structural analogues of pyrophosphate that bind to the resorptive surface of osteoclasts and are internalised. Disruption of key regulatory proteins results in inhibition of osteoclastic function and reduction in bone resorption.
- Patients should remain upright for at least 20 minutes after taking oral bisphosphonates, in order to reduce risk of oesophagitis / gastritis.
- Often given in combination with calcium carbonate and cholecalciferol.
- Pagetâ€™s disease of bone
- Delayed oesophageal emptying â€“ stricture, achalasia
- Inability to stand / sit upright
- Adverse Effects
- Oesophagitis / gastritis
- Nausea / vomiting / diarrhea
- Muscle / bone / joint pain
- Atypical femoral fractures
- Osteonecrosis of the jaw