- Oral / IVQuinidine
Mechanism of Action
- Binds to and inhibits fast sodium channels responsible for rapid depolarisation during phase 0 of the cardiomyocyte action potential.
- Acts on cardiomyocytes, with no action on pacemaker cells whose phase 0 is mediated by calcium influx. Moderate sodium channel blockade, but increases the absolute refractory period (ARP).
- Cardioversion of atrial fibrillation / flutter
- Acute ventricular tachycardia
- Adverse Effects
- Anticholinergic - dry mouth, blurred vision, constipation, urinary retention
- Nausea / vomiting / diarrhoea