Mechanism of Action
- Augments the inhibitory action of GABA by decreasing the rate of dissociation of GABA from GABAA receptors.
- Highly lipophilic with slight water solubility, therefore formulated as a milky-white emulsion.
- Three-compartment model of elimination
- Onset <60 seconds
- Duration 5 minutes
- Induction and maintenance of general anaesthesia
- Sedation of ventilated patients in ICU
- Adverse Effects
- Hypotension (20-30% decrease)
- Involuntary movements
- Reduced intracranial pressure
- Propofol infusion syndrome â€“ bradycardia, metabolic acidosis, rhabdomyolysis, hyperlipidaemia