Mechanism of Action
- Blocks α1-adrenoceptors, resulting in arteriolar smooth muscle relaxation and reduced peripheral resistance.
- Short acting. Safe for use in patients with impaired renal function.
- Hypertension – second line therapy, especially indicated for patients with benign prostatic hyperplasia
- Severe congestive cardiac failure
- Benign prostatic hyperplasia
- Renal artery stenosis (precipitates renal failure)
- Adverse Effects
- Postural hypotension
- Retrograde ejaculation (due to effect on prostate)
- Electrolytes, urea and creatinine.