- OralParoxetineAropax, Paxil
Mechanism of Action
- Selectively inhibits the presynaptic serotonin (5-HT) transporter, resulting in reduced reuptake of serotonin and greater serotonin concentrations within the synapse.
- Obsessive-compulsive disorder
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Panic disorder
- Post-traumatic stress disorder
- Not for concurrent use with monoamine oxidase inhibitors (MAOi).
- Adverse Effects
- Dry mouth
- Weight gain / loss
- Nausea / vomiting / diarrhoea
- Sexual dysfunction – decreased libido, ejaculatory disorders, erectile dysfunction
- Serotonin syndrome (when SSRIs given with MAOis / SNRIs) – confusion, agitation, ataxia, hyperreflexia, fevers, diaphoresis