Oral / IV
Paracetamol / Acetaminophen
Panadol, Tylenol, Dymadon, Panadol Osteo (SR)
- Mechanism of Action
- Unknown mechanism, though believed to be a weak inhibitor of prostaglandin synthesis. Also thought to inhibit COX-2, though without anti-inflammatory effects.
- Adverse Effects
- Liver toxicity can occur if doses greater than 10g or 200mg/kg (whichever is lower) are ingested within a 24-hour period.
- May be reversed with N-acetylcysteine (NAC).
Want more info like this?
- Your electronic clinical medicine handbook
- Guides to help pass your exams
- Tools every medical student needs
- Quick diagrams to have the answers, fast
- Quizzes to test your knowledge