Oral / Topical
Not absorbed through skin or mucous membranes
- Mechanism of Action
- Binds to ergosterol on the cell membrane, resulting in the formation of pores, leakage of cytoplasmic components and cell death.
- Effective against Candida, Cryptococcus and Aspergillus.
- Topical - superficial, oral or intestinal candidiasis
- Systemic - systemic candidiasis, cryptococcal meningitis, aspergillosis
- Adverse Effects
- With systemic use only.
- Electrolyte abnormalities
Want more info like this?
- Your electronic clinical medicine handbook
- Guides to help pass your exams
- Tools every medical student needs
- Quick diagrams to have the answers, fast
- Quizzes to test your knowledge