β1 antagonism, as well as vasodilatation due to increased endothelial NO release
- Mechanism of Action
- Selectively and competitively inhibit the action of adrenaline and noradrenaline on β1, resulting in suppression of the sympathetic nervous system.
Also stimulates release of nitric oxide (NO) from the endothelium, resulting in vasodilatation.
- Hypertension – second-line therapy, especially indicated for patients with stable angina or post MI.
Stable heart failure
- Decompensated heart failure
- AV block
- Adverse Effects
- Fatigue / headache
- Postural hypotension
- Nausea / vomiting / diarrhoea
Want more info like this?
- Your electronic clinical medicine handbook
- Guides to help pass your exams
- Tools every medical student needs
- Quick diagrams to have the answers, fast
- Quizzes to test your knowledge