- Oral / IVMoxifloxacinAveloxUseful for pneumonia in patients with severe penicillin / cephalosporin allergy, due to Staph and atypical cover
Mechanism of Action
- Inhibits DNA gyrase, preventing supercoiling of DNA and disrupting cell division.
- Broad spectrum including Staphylococcus aureus and atypical respiratory organisms (Legionella, Chlamydia, Mycoplasma). No activity against Pseudomonas.
- Gastroenteritis (empirical agents of choice)
- Genitourinary infections - UTI, PID, bacterial prostatitis
- Skin infections
- Osteomyelitis / septic arthritis
- Adverse Effects
- Nausea, vomiting, diarrhoea
- Headache / dizziness / fatigue
- QT prolongation
- Tendinopathy (in children)