- OralMifepristone (RU486)Given initially to prepare the genitourinary tract
Mechanism of Action
- Competitively inhibit the action of progesterone and glucocorticoid on their receptors. Results in endometrial degeneration, cervical dilatation, prostaglandin release, reduced progesterone release and reduced β-HCG production.
- Preparation of the genital tract for medical abortion.
- Bleeding disorder / anticoagulants
- Uncertainty about age of pregnancy
- Suspected ectopic pregnancy
- Adverse Effects
- Uterine contractions
- Per vaginal bleeding
- Nausea / vomiting / diarrhoea