- Oral / IV / PRMetronidazoleFlagyl
Mechanism of Action
- Broken down into its active form selectively by anaerobic and protozoal cells. Binds to and disrupts DNA, resulting in DNA degradation and cell death.
- Good anaerobic cover (e.g. Clostridium spp, Bacteroides fragilis), with additional activity against protozoa such as Trichomonas vagilanis, Giardia lamblia and Entamoeba histolytica.
- Anaerobic and protozoal infections:
- Bacteria - intra-abdominal sepsis, Clostridium difficile diarrhoea, bacterial vaginosis
- Protozoa - giardiasis, amoebiasis, trichomoniasis
- Adverse Effects
- Disulfuram-like effect (severe 'hangover' with alcohol)
- Nausea, vomiting