Oral / Rectal
- Mechanism of Action
- Inhibits 5-aminoimidazole-4-carboxamidoribonucleotide (AICAR) transformylase, which results in increased adenosine release at the inflamed site. Adenosine binds to A2 receptors on inflammatory cells resulting in reduced inflammation.
- Acute episodes and maintenance of inflammatory bowel disease
- Adverse Effects
- CNS - headache
- Gastrointestinal - abdominal pain / nausea / vomiting / diarrhoea
- Worsening of ulcerative colitis
- Hepatotoxicity - elevated LFTs
Want more info like this?
- Your electronic clinical medicine handbook
- Guides to help pass your exams
- Tools every medical student needs
- Quick diagrams to have the answers, fast
- Quizzes to test your knowledge