- Oral / IVMagnesium Sulfate
- Mechanism of Action
- Normalises serum magnesium concentrations in the case of hypomagnesaemia.
- Magnesium is involved in many physiologic processes including cardiac Na⁺ / K⁺ ATPase, and hypomagnesaemia can result in depolarisation and torsades de pointes.
- Also stimulates calcium delivery to the sarcoplasmic reticulum and competes with calcium for binding to troponin C, resulting in vasodilation and reduced contractility.
- Severe acute asthma
- Torsades de pointes
- Adverse Effects
- Due to hypermagnesaemia:
- Muscle weakness / hyporeflexia
- Vasodilation / hypotension
- Blurred vision / diplopia