Liposomal Amphotericin B
Lipid suspension results in binding directly to the fungal cell, resulting in low doses and significantly less toxicity
- Mechanism of Action
- Binds to ergosterol on the cell membrane, resulting in the formation of pores, leakage of cytoplasmic components and cell death.
- Effective against Candida, Cryptococcus and Aspergillus.
- Invasive candidiasis
- Cryptococcal meningitis
- Adverse Effects
- Infusion reactions - fevers, rigors, arthralgias, hypotension, bronchospasm
Want more info like this?
- Your electronic clinical medicine handbook
- Guides to help pass your exams
- Tools every medical student needs
- Quick diagrams to have the answers, fast
- Quizzes to test your knowledge