Local / Regional
- Mechanism of Action
- Binds to and inhibits neuronal voltage-gated sodium channels, suppressing neuronal depolarization and preventing axonal propagation of action potentials.
- Procedural anaesthesia – local anaesthesia, nerve block or epidural block
- Analgesia – local anaesthesia or epidural block
- Adverse Effects
- Hypersensitivity reactions – rash, oedema, anaphylaxis
- Inadvertent IV administration – agitation, drowsiness, bradycardia, hypotension, ventricular arrhythmia, hyperkalaemia, hypoxia
Want more info like this?
- Your electronic clinical medicine handbook
- Guides to help pass your exams
- Tools every medical student needs
- Quick diagrams to have the answers, fast
- Quizzes to test your knowledge