Local / Regional / Topical / Nasal / IV
Lidocaine / Lignocaine / Xylocaine
- Mechanism of Action
- Bind to and inhibit fast sodium channels responsible for rapid depolarisation during phase 0 of the cardiomyocyte action potential.
- Weak sodium channel blockade, and decreases the absolute refractory period (ARP).
- Local anaesthesia / nerve blocks
- Acute ventricular tachycardia
- Torsades de pointes
- Adverse Effects
- Bradycardia / hypotension / cardiac arrest
Want more info like this?
- Your electronic clinical medicine handbook
- Guides to help pass your exams
- Tools every medical student needs
- Quick diagrams to have the answers, fast
- Quizzes to test your knowledge