Once daily dosing
- Mechanism of Action
- Insulin is an hormone normally produced by pancreatic beta cells that is responsible for regulation of glucose, fat and protein metabolism.
- Clear solution
- Onset 1-3 hours
- No peak
- Duration <24 hours (Levemir) / >24 hours (Lantus)
- Tend to suppress hepatic gluconeogenesis, preventing hyperglycaemia in fasting conditions
- Prevent ketogenesis
- Basal insulin for hyperglycaemic control over 24 hours, either alone or in combination with bolus dosing.
- Adverse Effects
- Weight gain
- Hypersensitivity reactions
Want more info like this?
- Your electronic clinical medicine handbook
- Guides to help pass your exams
- Tools every medical student needs
- Quick diagrams to have the answers, fast
- Quizzes to test your knowledge