- Oral / IV / SubcutHydromorphoneDilaudid (IR), Jurnista (SR)Able to be used in renal dysfunction
Mechanism of Action
- Act on opioid receptors (δ, κ and μ) and nociceptin orphanin FQ (NOF) receptors on neuronal cell membranes within the thalamus, diencephalon, midbrain and medulla, resulting in reduced neurotransmitter release.
- Less histamine release (flushing, itching, rash) and less constipating than natural opioids.
- Acute and chronic pain
- Opioid addiction (methadone / buprenorphine)
- Adverse Effects
- Nausea / vomiting
- Respiratory depression
- Hypersensitivity - bronchospasm, urticaria