- Mechanism of Action
- Inhibits sodium-chloride transporters in the distal convoluted tubule, resulting in reduced sodium and chloride resorption.
- Essential hypertension – first line therapy, in combination with an ACEi or ARB
- Peripheral oedema – due to congestive cardiac failure / renal failure / nephrotic syndrome / cirrhosis
- Adverse Effects
- Hypersensitivity – urticarial, anaphylaxis
Want more info like this?
- Your electronic clinical medicine handbook
- Guides to help pass your exams
- Tools every medical student needs
- Quick diagrams to have the answers, fast
- Quizzes to test your knowledge