- InhaledHalothanePleasant odour - preferred for paediatrics
Mechanism of Action
- Not clearly defined. Alters the configuration of cell membrane ion channels, reducing the rate of firing of action potentials and resulting in CNS depression.
- Induction and maintenance of general anaesthesia.
- Past unexplained jaundice or malignant hyperthermia following halothane administration
- Raised intracranial pressure
- Adverse Effects
- Cardiac arrhythmia
- Reduced tidal volume with increased respiratory rate
- Reduced renal blood flow and glomerular filtration rate
- Malignant hyperthermia