Depot – fortnightly / monthly dosing for schizophrenia
- Mechanism of Action
- Inhibits dopamine D2 receptors, resulting in reduced dopaminergic transmission within the four dopaminergic pathways. Also inhibits serotonin (5-HT), muscarinic and α1-adrenergic receptors.
- More extrapyramidal side effects than atypical antipsychotics.
- Psychosis – schizophrenia, and related disorders
- Acute mania
- Adverse Effects
- Extrapyramidal – dystonia, akathisia, parkinsonism, tardive dyskinesia
- Hyperprolactinaemia – gynaecomastia, galactorrhoea, infertility, sexual dysfunction
- Anticholinergic – dry mouth, blurred vision, constipation, urinary retention, delirium
- Postural hypotension
- Prolonged QTc
- Weight gain
Want more info like this?
- Your electronic clinical medicine handbook
- Guides to help pass your exams
- Tools every medical student needs
- Quick diagrams to have the answers, fast
- Quizzes to test your knowledge