- Mechanism of Action
- Selectively inhibits the presynaptic serotonin (5-HT) transporter, resulting in reduced reuptake of serotonin and greater serotonin concentrations within the synapse.
- Obsessive-compulsive disorder
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Not for concurrent use with monoamine oxidase inhibitors (MAOi).
- Adverse Effects
- Dry mouth
- Weight gain / loss
- Nausea / vomiting / diarrhoea
- Sexual dysfunction – decreased libido, ejaculatory disorders, erectile dysfunction
- Serotonin syndrome (when SSRIs given with MAOis / SNRIs) – confusion, agitation, ataxia, hyperreflexia, fevers, diaphoresis
Want more info like this?
- Your electronic clinical medicine handbook
- Guides to help pass your exams
- Tools every medical student needs
- Quick diagrams to have the answers, fast
- Quizzes to test your knowledge