- Mechanism of Action
- Binds to aldosterone receptors, resulting in sodium / water retention and potassium excretion through the kidneys, gut, salivary and sweat glands.
- Adrenal insufficiency – Addison’s, congenital adrenal hypoplasia
- Orthostatic hypotension due to autonomic failure
- Adverse Effects
- Sodium / fluid retention
- Muscle weakness
- Peptic ulceration
- Cushing’s - central obesity, ‘moon’ face, buffalo hump, thin skin, peripheral oedema, striae, bruising
Want more info like this?
- Your electronic clinical medicine handbook
- Guides to help pass your exams
- Tools every medical student needs
- Quick diagrams to have the answers, fast
- Quizzes to test your knowledge