Ethinyloestradiol + Levonorgestrel
- OralEthinyloestradiol + LevonorgestrelLevlen, EleanorLower risk of DVT
Mechanism of Action
- Contains an oestrogen and a progesterone, which inhibit follicular development, prevent ovulation and thicken cervical mucus resulting in reduced sperm penetration.
- Useful for patients seeking OCP who have severe acne or hirsutism.
- Lower risk of DVT than with other combine oral contraceptives.
- If a dose is missed, two tablets should be taken the following day.
- Past DVT / PE
- Ischaemic heart disease
- Past stroke / TIA
- Liver failure
- Breast / uterine / cervical / ovarian cancer
- Migraine with aura
- Adverse Effects
- Nausea / abdominal pain
- Weight gain
- Breast pain