Ethinyloestradiol + Etonogestrel
- VaginalEthinyloestradiol + EtonogestrelNuvaRing
Mechanism of Action
- Contains an oestrogen and a progesterone, which inhibit follicular development, prevent ovulation and thicken cervical mucus resulting in reduced sperm penetration.
- Releases ostrogen and progestin directly into the vagina.
- Useful for patients who are poorly compliant with oral therapy, and for patients with malabsorption.
- Past DVT / PE
- Ischaemic heart disease
- Past stroke / TIA
- Liver failure
- Breast / uterine / cervical / ovarian cancer
- Migraine with aura
- Adverse Effects
- Nausea / abdominal pain
- Weight gain
- Breast pain