Diarrhoea is a significant side effect
- Mechanism of Action
- Inhibits protein synthesis by binding to the 50s ribosomal subunit, resulting in inaccurate mRNA translation.
- A wide spectrum of activity against gram positives, atypical respiratory organisms (Legionella, Chlamydia, Mycoplasma) and Bordatella pertussis (whooping cough)
- Community-acquired pneumonia (including atypical pneumonia)
- Group A streptococcus
- Pertussis (whooping cough)
- Adverse Effects
- Nausea / vomiting / diarrhoea
- Elevated LFTs
Want more info like this?
- Your electronic clinical medicine handbook
- Guides to help pass your exams
- Tools every medical student needs
- Quick diagrams to have the answers, fast
- Quizzes to test your knowledge