- IV / IMErgometrine
Mechanism of Action
- Stimulates contraction of uterine and vascular smooth muscle, through agonism of alpha-adrenergic, dopaminergic and serotonin (5-HT) receptors.
- Induction of labour
- Augmentation of labour
- Management of the third stage of labour
- Postpartum haemorrhage Prevention and management of postpartum haemorrhage after delivery of the placenta.
- Suspected retained placenta
- Severe hypertension / eclampsia / preeclampsia
- Peripheral vascular disease / ischaemic heart disease
- Adverse Effects
- Nausea / vomiting / diarrhoea
- Coronary artery spasm