Oral / IV
- Mechanism of Action
- Inhibits platelet cAMP-phosphodiesterase, preventing platelet aggregation. Also augments the platelet inhibitory effect of adenosine by preventing reuptake and degradation of adenosine by endothelial and red blood cells.
- Secondary prevention of stroke (in combination with aspirin)
- Prevention of thromboembolism post prosthetic heart valve surgery (in combination with anticoagulants)
- Adverse Effects
- Nausea / vomiting / diarrhoea
- Headache / dizziness
- Vasodilation – flushing, hypotension
Want more info like this?
- Your electronic clinical medicine handbook
- Guides to help pass your exams
- Tools every medical student needs
- Quick diagrams to have the answers, fast
- Quizzes to test your knowledge