- Mechanism of Action
- Inhibits Na⁺ / K⁺ ATPase, causing sodium influx which results in calcium influx through reduced action of the Na⁺ / Ca²⁺ exchange pump.
Increases contractility (positive inotropy) and decreases heart rate (negative chronotropy).
- Takes 5-7 days to achieve a therapeutic effect.
- Heart failure
- Atrial fibrillation
- Adverse Effects
- Electrolyte abnormalities
- Dizziness / headache
- Blurred vision
- Nausea / vomiting / diarrhea
- Sinus bradycardia
- Has a narrow therapeutic index, thus levels must be monitored regularly.
Want more info like this?
- Your electronic clinical medicine handbook
- Guides to help pass your exams
- Tools every medical student needs
- Quick diagrams to have the answers, fast
- Quizzes to test your knowledge