Some additional inhibition of dopamine reuptake
- Mechanism of Action
- Inhibits presynaptic reuptake of both serotonin and norepinephrine, resulting in greater concentrations within the synapse.
- Not for concurrent use with monoamine oxidase inhibitors (MAOi).
- Adverse Effects
- Dry mouth
- Weight loss / gain
- Dizziness / headache
- Nausea / vomiting / diarrhea
- Sexual dysfunction – decreased libido, ejaculatory disorders, erectile dysfunction
- Serotonin syndrome (when SNRIs given with MAOis / SSRIs) – confusion, agitation, ataxia, hyperreflexia, fevers, diaphoresis
Want more info like this?
- Your electronic clinical medicine handbook
- Guides to help pass your exams
- Tools every medical student needs
- Quick diagrams to have the answers, fast
- Quizzes to test your knowledge