Airway irritant - causes cough, apnoea, laryngospasm
- Mechanism of Action
- Not clearly defined. Alters the configuration of cell membrane ion channels, reducing the rate of firing of action potentials and resulting in CNS depression.
- Induction and maintenance of general anaesthesia.
- Past unexplained jaundice or malignant hyperthermia following halothane administration
- Raised intracranial pressure
- Adverse Effects
- Bradycardia (halothane / sevoflurane)
- Tachycardia (desflurane / isoflurane)
- Cardiac arrhythmia
- Reduced tidal volume with increased respiratory rate
- Reduced renal blood flow and glomerular filtration rate
- Malignant hyperthermia
Want more info like this?
- Your electronic clinical medicine handbook
- Guides to help pass your exams
- Tools every medical student needs
- Quick diagrams to have the answers, fast
- Quizzes to test your knowledge