Mechanism of Action
- Reversibly inhibits factor IIa (thrombin), resulting in reduced fibrin clot formation.
- Idarucizumab (praxbind) may be used to reverse dabigatran in life-threatening situations only.
- Prevention of venous thromboembolism post hip / knee surgery
- Treatment of venous thromboembolism (DVT / PE)
- Non-valvular atrial fibrillation (prevention of stroke)
- Active bleeding or risk of major bleeding
- Use of other anticoagulants
- Mechanical heart valve
- Severe renal impairment (eGFR
- Adverse Effects
- Oesophageal ulceration
- A dilute thrombin time assay may be used to monitor dabigatran.