- Mechanism of Action
- Believed to inhibit haem polymerisation, resulting in a buildup of toxic haem molecules into non-toxic haemozoin within the food vacuole of plasmodia.
- Widespread resistance, therefore rarely used in many countries.
- Prevention of malaria
- Acute Plasmodium malariae or falciparum infection
- Adverse Effects
- Nausea / vomiting
- Elevated LFTs
Want more info like this?
- Your electronic clinical medicine handbook
- Guides to help pass your exams
- Tools every medical student needs
- Quick diagrams to have the answers, fast
- Quizzes to test your knowledge