- IVCephazolinUsed for severe infections and for surgical prophylaxis
- Mechanism of Action
- A beta lactam antibiotic that inhibits bacterial cell wall synthesis.
- Broken down by beta lactamase enzymes produced by some bacteria.
- Most effective against gram positive cocci (streptococci and staphylococci), as well as Proteus spp., E coli and Klebsiella spp.
- Upper / lower respiratory tract infections
- Skin infections
- Urinary tract infections
- Adverse Effects
- Very few compared to penicillins.
- Hypersensitivity reactions
- Nausea / vomiting / diarrhoea
- Pseudomembranous colitis (C difficile)
- Thrombocytopaenia / leukopaenia