Alternative to fluclox / diclox in patients hypersensitive to penicillins
- Mechanism of Action
- Beta lactam antibiotics, which inhibit bacterial cell wall synthesis.
Broken down by beta lactamase enzymes produced by some bacteria.
- Most effective against gram positive cocci (streptococci and staphylococci), as well as Proteus spp., E coli and Klebsiella spp.
- Upper / lower respiratory tract infections
- Skin infections
- Urinary tract infections
- Adverse Effects
- Very few compared to penicillins.
- Hypersensitivity reactions
- Nausea / vomiting / diarrhoea
- Pseudomembranous colitis (C difficile)
- Thrombocytopaenia / leukopaenia
Want more info like this?
- Your electronic clinical medicine handbook
- Guides to help pass your exams
- Tools every medical student needs
- Quick diagrams to have the answers, fast
- Quizzes to test your knowledge