Mechanism of Action
- Inhibits cyclooxygenase, the enzyme responsible for production of thromboxanes, prostacyclin and prostaglandins from arachidonic acid.
- Selectively binds to COX2, resulting in reduced gastritis / peptic ulceration compared to non-selective NSAIDs.
- Pain - including migraine and musculoskeletal injury
- Inflammation - especially associated with arthritides
- Prophylaxis (aspirin) - of acute coronary or cerebrovascular events in patients with known cardiovascular or cerebrovascular disease
- Adverse Effects
- Gastritis / peptic ulceration
- Hypertension / fluid retention / congestive cardiac failure / MI
- Hypersensitivity reactions
- Elevated LFTs