- OralCefuroximeUseful against Haemophilus influenzae
Mechanism of Action
- A beta lactam antibiotic that inhibits bacterial cell wall synthesis.
- Active against gram positive cocci (streptococci and staphylococci) as well as some gram negative bacilli - Haemophilus influenzae, Enterobacter, Neisseria, Proteus, E coli, Klebsiella and Serratia.
- Upper / lower respiratory tract infections
- Skin infections
- Urinary tract infections
- Adverse Effects
- Very few compared to penicillins.
- Hypersensitivity reactions
- Nausea / vomiting / diarrhoea
- Pseudomembranous colitis (C difficile)
- Thrombocytopaenia / leukopaenia